Last week the New York Times wrote their annual list and named the 52 Places to Go in 2016. Toronto is finally being recognized and was listed as #7 on the list with an honourable mention of The Junction neighbourhood. The New York Times recognized The Junction as being Toronto’s emerging stylish neighbourhood full of bars, live music and coffee shops.
We are huge fans and whole heartedly agree with the New York Times article. The Junction has anything you could want, tonnes of coffee shops, great restaurants and lots of shopping (some of the best furniture stores in the city). It also has some of the most beautiful homes ranging from large detached victorians to ultra cool modern new builds.
Here are 10 fun facts about The Junction:
- Until amalgamating with the city of Toronto in 1909 the neighbourhood was previously an independent city named West Toronto
- In 1882 a Lawyer (D.W. Clendenan) bought 240 acres of property around Keele Street and later subdivides and develops it
- The Library on Annette Street was built in 1909
- Between 1904 and 1998 alcohol was banned from being sold in The Junction because of unruly drunk workers
- In 2001 the first drink was poured at Shoxs Sports Saloon near Dundas and Keele
- The area by Dundas Street and St. Johns Road has been called “Little Malta” because of several Maltese-Canadian businesses
- At one time the Stockyards area was Canada’s largest livestock market
- The Junction has a rich manufacturing history. Such items as furniture, flour, mattresses, shoes, hats, nails, wire, pianos, ploughs, pulleys and soap were made there
- In 1959 the last steam freight train left The Junction
- During the period of 1907 - 1913 four theatres opened on Dundas Street featuring Silent Movies, Vaudeville Stars, and local entertainers.
Check out our neighbourhood guide on The Junction.